What comes to mind when you think about ecommerce in Europe? Do major U.S. giants like Amazon pop up? Europe is actually one of the biggest ecommerce markets in the world and home to major online retailer companies like Ikea and Otto.
These major online retailers, that are big in several countries across Europe, are not the only stars in Europe. There are also ecommerce companies that are big in their home country, even though they are not as familiar among other European consumers. Consider Dutch online retailer, Wehkamp. Started as a mail-order company in 1952, every year it is listed among the top ten online stores in the Netherlands. Outside the country borders, however, it is not widely known.
Dutch research company Veraart Research shared their retail index that lists the top 30 retailers in Europe, which ranks ecommerce companies by turnover. The following are the top 5 online stores in Europe (in billions of euros) from Veraart Research’s top ten list:
- Schwarz – Schwarz is a private family-owned German retail group that owns and operates the Lidl and Kaufland brands. It is also the fourth-largest retailer in the world by revenue, with turnover (in billions) of 97. Schwarz headquarters is located in Germany.
- Aldi – Currently, Aldi Nord group consists of 35 independent regional branches, with approximately 2,500 stores. Most German towns and villages have at least one Aldi shop, and Aldi stores are also located in Australia and the United States. Aldi headquarters are in Germany.
- Carrefour – Carrefour is a French multinational retailer. It is one of the largest hypemarket chains in the world, with an estimated 12,300 self-service shops at the end of 2016. Turnover for Carrefour is 57 (in billions). Carrefour is headquartered in Boulogne Billancourt, France.
- Tesco – Headquartered in Hertfordshire, United Kingdom, Tesco employs over 500,000 people and operates almost 7,000 stores around the world. As per Veraart Research data, Tesco turnover (in billions) is 56.
- Edeka – Referred to as Germany’s most successful entrepreneurial initiative, Edeka is Germany’s leading group of grocery retailers with about 11,430 and an annual turnover of approximately 54 (in billions). Edeka is headquartered in Hamburg, Germany and employs an estimated 250,000 people.
Are you in the process of launching an ecommerce business? Are you searching for the best merchant services to grow your brand? Consider the many reviews and helpful information – like cutpay – the team at Best Payment Providers has to offer. Find everything you need to know to choose the right provider for your business’ unique needs.
Author Bio: Payment industry expert Taylor Cole is a passionate merchant account expert who understands the complicated world of accepting credit and debit cards at your business. His understanding of the industry and cutpay reviews has helped thousands of business owners save money and time.